Identify opportunities for innovation
Quantify market oppportunities, develop user insights, understand system challenges, quantify potential benefits
Outside-in, contextual inquiry with existing and target customers
- Explore opportunities for growth and differentiation in the market, including new service propositions
- Uncover opportunities to align more closely with your clients' values and practices
- Pin-point pain points and loyalty drivers across users' journeys
User Experience Researcher | Story Teller | Facilitator
- Lead people through discovery
- Help leaders and their teams understand what really matters to people so they can align their purpose around client values and practices and deliver services to deliver positive change.
Clearly define target users/profiles
Clarify the core question you want to answer
- Identify growth opportunities?
- Uncover market driven anxieties or problems
At the early stage of discovery, the focus needs to be on understanding the problem rather than looking for solutions - this phase is user-focused and solution agnostic.
Start with the research question and the key metrics you want to track. E.g. what problem do users have, what is their current solution, and how many experience so much pain that they must have a better solution?
Design and execute target user/client research that will help uncover:
- Anxieties and frustrations driven by the market; this helps identify opportunities to innovate and differentiate
- User needs and stories
- As-is journeys to uncover high impact experiences, pain points and loyalty drivers, and what influences decisions and behaviours
- Idealised journeys that will help them solve explicit and underlying needs
Where possible blend qualitative interviews and direct observation ideally in the users' world - the contextual the inquiry the better.
Consider observing and/or interviewing front-line staff and how they interact with customers.
- What are the triggers?
- How do they measure and evaluate success?
Product artefacts, re-frame the problem and engage stakeholders with new/emerging narrative
- Recording interviews and scripts
- User profiles, personas and empathy maps
- User needs and stories
- User journey maps - as-is with high impact/decision-points (moments of truth) and pain points uncovered
- Relational (service) maps, where there is trust and mis-alignment of values
- Deeper understanding and empathy for users
- As-is user journeys
- Data-driven opportunities for innovation and change